Prior to the formation of a local water company, many Buffalonians depended on “Water John” Kuecherer, a German immigrant who carted water from Lake Erie to residents without a well. Water John was put out of business, however, when Jubilee Water Works began providing well water through a network of wooden pipes. In 1868, the city purchased the company and began construction of an intake system on the Niagara River, which remained in operation until 1913.

Historic Photographs

Water Intake, Niagara River, c1900

Historic Photographs | Item# BUF101031

* Required Fields