Buffalo Creek was the original harbor of the port of Buffalo, and, in its original state, was shallow at the mouth and frequently closed by a gravel bar. In 1826 the original resolution calling for the improvement of this condition was adopted, and provided, at first, for pier construction on the north and south sides of Buffalo Creek. Subsequently a masonry sea wall, 5,400 feet long, was built along the lake shore south of the harbor entrance, and a sand-catch pier of piles and stone 879 feet long was built out from the shore. Between 1868 and 1893 a detached breakwater, 7,600 feet long, was built of timber cribs about half a mile distant from the shore and parallel with it.
A shore arm, four thousand feet long, to extend to the south end of this breakwater, was projected in 1874 but was wrecked by storm while it was in process of construction, in 1893.