To meet the increasing demands of rail travel and ease congestion in Buffalo, plans for a train station outside of downtown Buffalo were offered as early as 1889, but it wasn’t until the late-1920s that the magnificent Central Terminal was completed. Construction of the massive, art deco-style building took four years, and included a power station, offices, and amenities for as many as 200 trains and 10,000 travelers per day.
Before the Terminal, New York Central had two stops in Buffalo – the Exchange Street and the Terrace stations – each inundated with downtown congestion. The Central Terminal was built 2.5 miles to the east of the city's downtown core, to relieve rail and grade crossing congestion, with the belief that the quickly growing city would soon expand closer to the station. This image shows the steel work being raised in 1928, the last beam put in place in December of that year. The Terminal was completed in 1929, with a huge opening gala hosted on June 22 and schedule service beginning on June 23.